It is a new year – 2019! That time of the year we are required to plan, to create strategies and road maps. It is helpful to have a reminder that planning is only effective with the big picture in mind – goals.
Goals keep us on the track and help us to evaluate progress. Without goals, our dreams are just items on a Wish list.
Success does not happen by accident. We need to be intentional about the things we really need to get done – family life, work, sport, spiritual goals. What more, we need to be intentional about safety. We should set safety goals too!
Here, I remind you five ways to set goals and achieve them.
- Set a Goal that motivates you. – You don’t want to force yourself to achieve something. You want to do something exciting. Set only goals you have a compelling passion for.
- Make Your Goals SMART. – Who ever likes stupid people or shabby dresses? Goals must be smart – Specific, Measurable, Realistic and Time-bound – you remember that, don’t you?
Okay, a little more note here:
- Specific – Well defined goals state in clear terms what the expected outcome is.
- Measurable -Properly made goals have a system for evaluating progress – a set of metrics
- Achievable – it is better to set goals with your resources, abilities and available time in mind. Bogus goals lead to frustration
- Realistic – Imagine a goal to repair Lagos-Abuja express road in 2 days and with asphalt imported from Lome! That’s unrealistic.
- Time-bound – whoever hears of writing an undergraduate thesis for 10 years! Well made goals have deadlines.
- Write your Goals down – a goal not written does not exist! Written goals leverage the power of sight and remembrance. Writing also helps in clarifying goals.
- Create a plan – a step by step breakdown of ‘how to’ get a problem solved is a plan. Sit down and create a strategy for reaching your smart goal.
- Stay with it until the end – I call it ‘to hunker-down’ – keep doing it till you see results.
Now, I hope this reminder helps you set great goal for the New Year! After all, vision is the key to movement!