Sometime in August 2007, while I was getting ready for a new school session, I fell into an electrical accident that almost ended my life and my hopes for an exciting session in school.
I had been tending my mother’s babies’ ware shop the whole of that holidays. Her neighbor sells a cold nutritious soy drink, I usually looked forward to each them I stayed in mom’s shop. I was in the habit of entering neighbor’s shop, reach to the refrigerator, take the cold soy and drop my money on her desk.
That faithful day, I didn’t know the refrigerator had developed a fault the week before. I reached to it for my dear drink, but couldn’t pull my hand back. The electrical forces held me down. The women shouted helplessly till my savior came. Well, I do not forget that incidence in a hurry.
We owe ourselves and our visitors an electrically safe environment. We not only protect lives, but we preserve our expensive gadgets. Below are ten tips for ensuring electrical safety at home.
- It is helpful to use the specified chargers for your devices. You will be avoiding a possible explosion and damage to your expensive gadgets. Specifications for voltage and amperage should be noted and abode by.
- Construct an insulated changeover box for switching between the public power supply and your generator. Avoid a costly mix-up.
- Surge protectors are useful for protecting your expensive gadgets from excess voltage. Install them to your wall outlets.
- Tag out faulty electrical appliance. You will be saving the unsuspecting visitor from electric shock.
- It is not ‘old-fashioned’ or non-Nigerian to read the ‘owner’s manual’. You may be prolonging your life and the life of your devices.
- Do not answer the handset while charging it. You should live to answer more calls. There has been reports of explosions on so doing. More so, science reports that there is increased radiation while phones are charging.
- Let the electrical fault be handled by experts. Let it alone if you are not sure of how to do it. Do not play with electrical installations you don’t understand fully.
- Do not ‘manage’ faulty gadgets – send them for repairs promptly.
- Switch off electrical gadgets when not in use for long periods. You are not just saving energy, you are avoiding unforeseen disasters.
- Aim to buy standard gadgets; cheap is not always safe. Some cheap appliances may not meet certain safety specifications. Above all, purchase only electrical appliances that have the SON approval symbol.
You may be interested in Home Safety 101 – Kitchen Safety.