A friend urged me to write about safety at home. He said people were very interested in home safety. So, I decided to do his bidding and write a few things about safety at home. I hope you get to enjoy them.
I decided to start with safety in the kitchen since the kitchen is the center of more than fifty percent of home activities during active hours. The kitchen is also most implicated in home accidents. Besides these two reasons, the festive season is at the corner – cooking increases by three hundred percent. Happy celebrations in advance.
Let’s start by identifying the major hazards associated with the kitchen
- Cuts: these happen while chopping vegetables and is quite common.
- Burns: these happen when there is hot oil spills, splashes from frying, or hot water spills. Touching hot pots and ladles, especially when bringing down pots, also causes burns.
- Falling objects: mistakenly dropping items (including breakables and glass wares) cause injury. Objects kept at heights above shoulder level are most implicated.
- Slips: one typically slips from liquid spills on the floor and organic peels
- Fire: the kitchen is the most common source of home fires. Frayed hairs and clothes, improperly locked gas cylinders, and inattentiveness lead to kitchen fires
- Ergonomic strain: this happens when one has to continuously stretch to take things from overhead shelves.
Now, let’s consider kitchen safety measures
To Avoid Cuts: use chopping boards and reduce distraction.
To avoid burns: reduce distractions when frying or carrying hot water, wear aprons and make use of long ladles while frying. Do not position the handle of frying pans towards you – you may hit them over. Frying pan handles should always be positioned to the side opposite you. Use kitchen towels to bring down hot pots or handling other hot utensils
To avoid falling objects: be careful while handling breakables, reduce clutter on tables and shelves, and use enclosed shelves. Make use of stable stools to take things from overhead shelves.
To avoid slips: clean up floors promptly after spills. Dispose organic waste into bins quickly.
To avoid fire: tie hair neatly together – dangling hair may reach into fire source. Do not wear overflowing clothes in kitchen. Do not leave dishes on fire unattended especially when frying. Tightly lock gas taps. Do not allow children to make use of gas cookers.
To avoid strains: avoid extended times of upward reaches – make use of stable stools to get objects from heights.
As we enter the festivities, let’s pay attention to kitchen safety.
Drop your comments about how kitchen safety can be maximized in the coming celebrations. Merry Christmas and a happy new year in advance.
You may be interested in Personal Water Survival Skills.
Begin your safety education today at University of Nigeria and SHELL Center for Environmental Management and Control – 100 percent online.